Saturday, November 19, 2016

FB-RSS



Photo - Steve Isham, educator, author, activist, advocate and mentor to countless children for over 40 years had this to say about the way he was treated by the very institution he tirelessly served: To every student I have had in my classes or in my school as a Principal since I began teaching in 1975. I loved you, I worked hard for you, I respected you, I believed in you, I treated you with respect, and never turned away when asked for help or support from anyone of you. Now at the end of my career I want to thank you for the incredible life you have given me. Recently Glendale Community College "kicked me to the curb" after teaching there for 12 years, assisting in starting the behavioral health science program with Professor Bruce Thomas. Not even a "Thank you" from the college. Simultaneously, South Mountain Community College "kicked me to the curb" after 16 years. I helped Corey Washington to start the behavioral health science program; even wrote four of the courses and the textbook for one. And yet, I am no longer qualified to teach the courses I wrote or the course I wrote the textbook for. Not even a thank you? 42 years of teaching experience and I am no longer needed? I am no longer highly qualified? When we throw human beings away, especially students, it comes back to haunt us. When we teach students to recall and regurgitate calculus, trigonometry, algebra, and geometry formulas , but they cannot measure to at least 1/32 of an inch, is that success? Who wins? 35 and 40 students in a high school English class? How on earth does a teacher read, process, give appropriate positive and uplifting feedback that helps a student learn and want to try again? 4 periods a day times 35 assignments per class? 140 papers to process When was the last time you had a school administrator call you and tell you how wonderful your child was today? When was the last time a teacher told you that you were special and that you could do anything (and mean it)? 19 years I taught at the University of Phoenix and 10 years at Rio Salado College? When our educational system treats teachers like they are expendable like chalk, when our administrators treat teachers and staff like they are easily replaceable and disrespect them as human beings what do our children hear and see and sense. They know! They understand more than we give them credit for. Teaching provided me with a living for my family, but my students provide me with a life, with meaning and with hope for a better nation than we had before. This young man in the video kindled a fire inside of me to say something about what was happening to me. I am not asking that anyone say or do anything. What I am asking is that every day you make at least one person's day better. Do some act of kindness, go out of your way to lift someone up, turn the other cheek, learn to forgive and forget. Yes, people may think you want something from them. They think that because that is who they are, not who you are. Well time for bed....... Thanksgiving is around the corner and Christmas is coming quickly. Yes, Christmas, not "holiday". Allow everyone to have their freedom religion. And I appreciate every Veteran that was in my classes that provided me with freedom of speech! https://www.facebook.com/PrinceEa/videos/10154982214184769/ Steve, I would like to say what those idiots that employed you did not: Thank you for not only teaching our children but for weaving a strong moral fiber into the future of America by giving meaningful instruction to your students. Your passion extends well beyond the classroom as you worked on important social issues in your community for your students and their families. Even though your employer's fail to recognize your true value to your community....your students will. They will think on you with respect and love as they forge ahead to build a better way for our country. The seeds planted and cultivated by you over your many years as a teacher will grow in ways that will honor you forever. There is not a human alive who does not look back with respect and fondness to a certain teacher, who like you, kindled the fire of knowledge in your students lives. Your keen perception of CPS issues and your desire to right a horrible wrong in America is appreciated more than you realize. Thank you for your dedication and passion. Geri: Steve Isham, educator, author, activist, advocate and mentor to countless children for over 40 years had this to say about the way he was treated by the very institution he tirelessly served: To every student I have had in my classes or in my school as a Principal since I began teaching in 1975. I loved you, I worked hard for you, I respected you, I believed in you, I treated you with respect, and never turned away when asked for help or support from anyone of you. Now at the end of my career I want to thank you for the incredible life you have given me. Recently Glendale Community College "kicked me to the curb" after teaching there for 12 years, assisting in starting the behavioral health science program with Professor Bruce Thomas. Not even a "Thank you" from the college. Simultaneously, South Mountain Community College "kicked me to the curb" after 16 years. I helped Corey Washington to start the behavioral health science program; even wrote four of the courses and the textbook for one. And yet, I am no longer qualified to teach the courses I wrote or the course I wrote the textbook for. Not even a thank you? 42 years of teaching experience and I am no longer needed? I am no longer highly qualified? When we throw human beings away, especially students, it comes back to haunt us. When we teach students to recall and regurgitate calculus, trigonometry, algebra, and geometry formulas , but they cannot measure to at least 1/32 of an inch, is that success? Who wins? 35 and 40 students in a high school English class? How on earth does a teacher read, process, give appropriate positive and uplifting feedback that helps a student learn and want to try again? 4 periods a day times 35 assignments per class? 140 papers to process When was the last time you had a school administrator call you and tell you how wonderful your child was today? When was the last time a teacher told you that you were special and that you could do anything (and mean it)? 19 years I taught at the University of Phoenix and 10 years at Rio Salado College? When our educational system treats teachers like they are expendable like chalk, when our administrators treat teachers and staff like they are easily replaceable and disrespect them as human beings what do our children hear and see and sense. They know! They understand more than we give them credit for. Teaching provided me with a living for my family, but my students provide me with a life, with meaning and with hope for a better nation than we had before. This young man in the video kindled a fire inside of me to say something about what was happening to me. I am not asking that anyone say or do anything. What I am asking is that every day you make at least one person's day better. Do some act of kindness, go out of your way to lift someone up, turn the other cheek, learn to forgive and forget. Yes, people may think you want something from them. They think that because that is who they are, not who you are. Well time for bed....... Thanksgiving is around the corner and Christmas is coming quickly. Yes, Christmas, not "holiday". Allow everyone to have their freedom religion. And I appreciate every Veteran that was in my classes that provided me with freedom of speech! https://www.facebook.com/PrinceEa/videos/10154982214184769/ Steve, I would like to say what those idiots that employed you did not: Thank you for not only teaching our children but for weaving a strong moral fiber into the future of America by giving meaningful instruction to your students. Your passion extends well beyond the classroom as you worked on important social issues in your community for your students and their families. Even though your employer's fail to recognize your true value to your community....your students will. They will think on you with respect and love as they forge ahead to build a better way for our country. The seeds planted and cultivated by you over your many years as a teacher will grow in ways that will honor you forever. There is not a human alive who does not look back with respect and fondness to a certain teacher, who like you, kindled the fire of knowledge in your students lives. Your keen perception of CPS issues and your desire to right a horrible wrong in America is appreciated more than you realize. Thank you for your dedication and passion. Geri

from FB-RSS feed for Op Expose DCS Arizona #opexposecps https://www.facebook.com/AmericasTaken/photos/a.979241848832976.1073741828.976132759143885/1166347933455699/?type=3

No comments:

Post a Comment